Thursday, September 30, 2010

Canada hates us.

Annual drug deaths: tobacco: 450,000, alcohol: 125,000, 'legal' drugs: 38,000, illegal drug overdoses: 5,200, marijuana: 0. Considering government subsidies of tobacco, just what is our government protecting us from in the drug war?

imgres.jpg

((Image: Hulu symbol. Can be found here.


The other night my friend and I wanted to watch a movie, having been on the awesome blog for Media and Society , I remembered seeing something about the website for Hulu, where you can go and watch movies for free. I went to the recently popular section, and to my surprise almost all of the movies were documentaries on weed. Considering we are in Burlington, VT we said, hey, why not. We ended up watching the documentary called, The Union: The Business Behind Getting High. Now I'm not about to review this movie ((even though it was very good)) or saying i condone the smoking of weed, but I just wanted to mention how much this movie made me think about our government, and how it seems so sneaky. The quote i put at the beginning of this blog is not the exact quote from the movie, but these are the facts that were mentioned. It is a movie about the big industry that creates and selling illegal Cannabis.Cannabis is still illegal in most parts of the world,despite that cigarettes and Alcohol are taking more life's then Cannabis.


The title of "Canada Hates Us," relates to one part of the movie where these two guys from Canada are about to be arrested and put in jail in the U.S for life, and are being tried by a U.S jury, for selling weed seeds over the internet to people in the U.S, even though it is completely legal in Canada. Thats a little harsh in my opinion by our government. One last thing it made me think about, was the power of the pharmaceutical companies over the government's decision of legalizing weed. They don't want people "growing their own medicine." Also, many of the studies that have been done to prove the "harmfulness" of weed on the brain, were made biased scientist who did not want the legalization of weed so they did them so that no matter what, it would prove weed harmful. The one experiment that was the most horrible was they had monkeys that they put oxygen masks on and pumped them full of pure weed smoke, with no oxygen. So by the end of the few weeks when the results came out saying weed kills brain cells, it was not even from that, it was from the 10 minutes a day the monkeys were deprived of oxygen. Kinda shady in my opinion.





Thats it for now, enjoy the trailer and if you are looking for a good movie that actually does make you think. Check it out, might raise some questions.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jo!

    I'll be honest - I can't read this.

    The gray font on black screen is too hard on my aging eyes.

    Please repost and email me when you fix the font color.

    And don't forget to # your meditations, too, yes?

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete